University of Texas–Austin: A Paragon In Education

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alissa Obenhaus, Writer

The University of Texas at Austin, a public research university established on September 15, 1883, stands as the flagship institution of the University of Texas system. The University of Texas continues to strive for excellence. Inducted into the Association of American Universities in 1929, it ranks as the third university in the American south for this accolade.

The University of Texas at Austin has the nation’s 8th largest single campus enrollment. With over 50,000 undergraduate and graduate students and over 24,000 faculty and staff, this institution steadily grows in both size and scholarship.

A public ivy league school and a major center for academic investigations, research expenses costed over $615 million for the 2016-2017 school year. The university contains seven museums and seventeen libraries, including the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum and the Blanton Museum of Art.

Rather than limiting students to on campus research facilities, UT also operates multiple auxiliary research facilities, such as the McDonald Observatory and the J. J. Pickle Research Campus.

Among the university faculty members, many earned a Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize, the Primetime Emmy Award, the Wolf Prize, the Turing Award, and the National Medal of Science, and many other awards. Up to October 2018, 11 Nobel Prize winners, 2 Turing Award winners, and 1 Fields Medalist affiliate with the school as alumni, faculty members, or researchers.

Unlike some schools that will accept a low GPA, to matriculate into University of Texas, applicants must have at least 3.68 average and maintain a mix of A’s and B’s, preferably more A’s than B’s. Candidates also must place as one of the above average students in their graduating high school class.

Offering more than 170 fields of study, students can choose many majors. Mostly known for engineering, social sciences, business, management, and marketing, UT offers many other programs, too. With one of Texas’ best fine arts departments, some programs include art classes, band classes and marching band, and theater arts.

Annually recognized by national publications as one of the best values in higher education, UT has one of the most affordable education programs. In state tuition costs $10,398 and out of state tuition runs $36,744, but the annual cost for in state students and out of state students varies depending on the courses taken and financial aid needed.

University of Texas at Austin, a wonderful and affordable choice for a college education, continues to grow and strengthen while preparing humanity’s future.