Stephen F. Austin State University–A Remarkable Institution

Sara Alvarez, Writer

Stephen F. Austin State University, a remarkable university known for its lumberjack pride, began its mission educating students in 1923. SFA’s breathtaking campus, located in the heart of East Texas in historic Nacogdoches, locates closer to Houston and Dallas, rather than Austin, Texas. Selected as this fantastic university’s location in 1921, Nacogdoches stood proudly to have its first and only university.

Although Stephen F. Austin started off as a college, still they accomplished many achievements as a growing school. In 1940, a student named Joseph Kennedy, discovered the Plutonium element on school grounds itself. After this historic event for the lumberjacks, this dedicated,  scholarly educational institution grew into an outstanding university in 1969.

As a public establishment, SFA enrolls 10,985 undergraduate students according to U.S. University rankings. The Lumberjacks institution remains as one of the biggest universities in a small rural area. Although operating in a small town, still nothing hampers these dedicated lumberjacks!

At this exceptional university, students can explore over 120 areas of study including various majors, minors, and concentrations. Within each professional area, six separate home colleges successfully function to administer programs, such as College of Business, College of Education, Fine Arts, Agriculture, Mathematics, and Liberal Arts.

The academic departments not only excel, but also the Lumberjack Athletics show great sportsmanship and shape students into spectacular leaders. The Ladyjacks soccer team received twelve conference titles which names this hardworking group of ladies the best elite program in the Southland conference. Along with the ladies soccer team, during the past 11 years, the male lumberjacks secured  their place as both Southland conference powerhouse and gold medal winners in the NCAA national tournament.

Stephen F. Austin State University–one of the best higher education institutions in Texas known to deliver and shape excellent students into hardworking and successful professional employees!