Luke Perry: A Talented Actor

Alissa Obenhaus, Writer

Coy Luther “Luke” Perry III, born on October 11, 1966 in Mansfield, Ohio, rose to stardom with his first role on “Beverly Hills, 90210”. Quickly named a teen idol for playing Dylan McKay on the TV series “Beverly Hills, 90210”, Luke has made himself into a household name.

Also starring as Fred Andrews, Archie Andrews dad, on the CW series “Riverdale”, he had guest roles on notable shows such as “Criminal Minds”, “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”, “The Simpsons”, and “Will & Grace” as well.

Son of Ann Perry, a housewife, and Coy Luther Perry Jr., a steelworker, the second of three children, Perry’s parents divorced in 1972. His mother later married Steve Bennett, a construction worker. They had another child and started a new life, while Luke’s biological father died of a heart attack in 1980.

Raised in Fredericktown, Ohio, Luke played Freddie Bird, the school mascot for Fredericktown High School. In 1984, Perry moved to Los Angeles shortly after high school to pursue acting. Instead of depending only on his acting career, he worked multiple jobs, including working for an asphalt paving company and a door knob factory.

He appeared in the 1985 music video of Be Chrool to Your Scuel for the band Twisted Sister, and by 1988, he had already auditioned for 256 acting jobs before receiving his first role. After he moved to New York, Perry quickly obtained roles on daytime dramatic series. He made an appearance on one episode of “Loving”, running from 1987–1988, and ten episodes of “Another World”, running from 1988–1989.

Instead of causing a scandal and drawing hatred to  himself, the talented and versatile actor left his legacy as one of the most charismatic and talented stars of his time.

After suffering from an ischemic stroke on February 27th and then later a second stroke, his family decided to remove him from life support. The 52-year-old star sadly passed away on March 4, 2019 due to complications.

Luke Perry, a talented and charming actor, will continue to live on in movie lover’s hearts and amaze future generations with his talent.