Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Seattle: An Emerald City

Odalys Pena, Writer

With beautiful mountains and lovely trees, Seattle locates in Washington, a state nestled in the United States northwest. Seattle, also known as the Emerald City, has greenery and many attractive sites that visitors throng to during the summer months. Also, from Seattle, tourists may visit Vancouver Canada less than two hours away.

Seattle obtained its name from former Chief Seattle, a Suquamish and Duwamish leader. Chief Seattle, known as a leader for his people, and he compromised with white settlers. Doc Maynard, one of Seattle’s primary founders, decided to name the city after Seattle because of his honor and integrity.

Most favored tourist areas include, the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Chihuly Garden and Glass, Pioneer Square and the beautiful cherry blossom trees located at the University of Washington.

The Space Needle, an observation tower located in the city’s center, remains one of the most city’s visited attractions. Standing at 605 feet tall, the tower overlooks the city along with Mount Rainier in the distance. Visitors can each lunch in the restaurant at the top observation tower, observing the lovely Pacific Ocean views.

The Chihuly Garden and Glass, an exhibit in the Seattle center, showcases the pieces of Dale Chihuly, an American sculptor and entrepreneur. Tourists can visit many sections of this museum including the glass forest, chandeliers, Persian ceiling, and many more.

Although it does regularly rain, some people may still think of Seattle as a city with high rainfall. In reality, Houston, Chicago, and New York cities individually have a much higher rainfall than Seattle. Moreover, the Pacific ocean’s Kuroshio, Japan current, tempers Seattle’s temperatures and keeps the winter season mild.

The city sits in the Pacific Ring of Fire, known for earthquake activity. The most recent earthquake, Nisqually quake, had a 6.8 magnitude and occurred on February 28, 2001.

Seattle ranks as one of the most literate cities in the United States, an honor attributed to its astute citizens with a progressive philosophy. Unlike some cities that have few higher education graduates, this city holds the most residents with a college degree. This could explain why the Seattle library system has the highest number of library card holders in the country.

Seattle, a city surrounded by beautiful mountains and evergreen forests!

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

A Family’s Importance in Life

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Harry Styles: A Generation’s Icon

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

The Three Stooges: Featuring The Howard Brothers

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Eric Church–A Wonderful Musician

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Christian Moore: An Advocate For All

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Richard M. Nixon: America’s 37th President

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Breast Cancer–Searching For a Cure

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Los Angeles: City of Angels

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Camp Longhorn–Heaven on Earth

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Brett Kavanaugh–Supreme Court Justice

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Seattle: An Emerald City