Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Seattle: An Emerald City

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seattle: An Emerald City

Odalys Pena, Writer

With beautiful mountains and lovely trees, Seattle locates in Washington, a state nestled in the United States northwest. Seattle, also known as the Emerald City, has greenery and many attractive sites that visitors throng to during the summer months. Also, from Seattle, explorers may visit Vancouver Canada less than two hours away.

Seattle obtained its name from former Chief Seattle, a Suquamish and Duwamish leader. Chief Seattle, known as a leader for his people, and he compromised with white settlers. Doc Maynard, one of Seattle’s primary founders, decided to name the city after Seattle because of his honor and integrity.

Most favored excursionist areas include, the Space Needle, Pike Place Market, Chihuly Garden and Glass, Pioneer Square and the beautiful cherry blossom trees located at the University of Washington.

The Space Needle, an observation tower located in the city’s center, remains one of the most city’s visited attractions. Standing at 605 feet tall, the tower overlooks the city along with Mount Rainier in the distance. Visitors can each lunch in the restaurant at the top observation tower, observing the lovely Pacific Ocean views.

The Chihuly Garden and Glass, an exhibit in the Seattle center, showcases the pieces of Dale Chihuly, an American sculptor and entrepreneur. Tourists can visit many sections of this museum including the glass forest, chandeliers, Persian ceiling, and many more.

Although it does regularly rain, some people may still think of Seattle as a city with high rainfall. In reality, Houston, Chicago, and New York cities individually have a much higher rainfall than Seattle. Moreover, the Pacific ocean’s Kuroshio, Japan current, tempers Seattle’s temperatures and keeps the winter season mild.

The city sits in the Pacific Ring of Fire, known for earthquake activity. The most recent earthquake, Nisqually quake, had a 6.8 magnitude and occurred on February 28, 2001.

Seattle ranks as one of the most literate cities in the United States, an honor attributed to its astute citizens with a progressive philosophy. Unlike some cities that have few higher education graduates, this city holds the most residents with a college degree. This could explain why the Seattle library system has the highest number of library card holders in the country.

Seattle, a city surrounded by picturesque mountains and resplendent forests, sparkles with unadorned elegance and charm!

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

San Antonio: A Historically Enriched City

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Great Barrier Reef

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Waffle House: A Breakfast Treat

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Human Trafficking in Houston Texas

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Stonehenge: An Extravagant Tourist Area

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

The Destruction of a Divided Government

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Dolan Falls–A Lovely Sight

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Whataburger–Fast Food At Its Best!

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Giraffes–A Beautiful Species

• Seattle: An Emerald City

Top Stories

Baking

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Seattle: An Emerald City