Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Austin Texas aerial drone panoramic view above Town Lake with Mirrored Image reflection off the water and perfect sunrise. Austin Texas Sunrise Golden Hour Skyline Cityscape Perfect Morning

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Alissa Obenhaus, Writer

The Texas state capital, once known as Waterloo, now known as Austin, functions as the state’s capital. Houston, named after Texas’ first president General Sam Houston, needed a break from its tiring position and retired the name of capital city. Chosen to play the role of capital city in Texas, Waterloo took the spotlight from Houston.

Later, Waterloo adopted the name Austin, and the name came from Stephen F. Austin, also known as the “father of Texas.” Stephen F. Austin had negotiated a boundary treaty with the local Native Americans to protect the new capital land, and they named the new capital of Texas, Austin.

Austin has one of Texas’ most famous landmarks–the Texas State Capitol building. The capitol building houses the offices and chambers of the Texas Legislature.

The Texas State Capitol building, designed in 1881 by Elijah E. Myers, had not begun construction until the following year. Reuben Lindsay Walker directed the construction starting in 1882 and continued until 1888.

Well known as the “Live Music Capital of the World,” Austin, Texas has a major live-music scene with mostly the country, blues, and rock genres. Home to over 200 live music venues including Antone’s Nightclub, The Continental Club and the Elephant Room, Austin has a variety of places for anyone who seeks live shows.

As of 2016, Austin’s population calculates to  947, 890 people. Nearly 1 million people that live in the heart of Texas, with the population still growing as more and more people continue to move to Austin to take part of its rich history. Though considered the 11th largest city in the United States, the 3rd largest state capital, and the 4th largest Texas city ranking below Houston (1), San Antonio (2), and Dallas (3),  with a population half of Houston, Austin seems small to Houston residents. The city of Austin still holds record amounts of people, even if it may not appear that way.

The University of Texas, the state’s largest school, operates its main campus in Austin. Over 50,000 students attend this institution of higher learning, working towards degrees in professional fields.

Austin has many architectural wonders, beautiful landmarks, and many good-hearted Texans. As the heart of Texas continues to grow population wise and architecture wise, so will Texas in landmarks, people, and history, and it will give more reasons for everyone to love Texas.

Visit Austin soon!

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Seattle: An Emerald City

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

A Family’s Importance in Life

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Harry Styles: A Generation’s Icon

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

The Three Stooges: Featuring The Howard Brothers

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Eric Church–A Wonderful Musician

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Christian Moore: An Advocate For All

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Richard M. Nixon: America’s 37th President

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Breast Cancer–Searching For a Cure

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Los Angeles: City of Angels

• Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City

Top Stories

Camp Longhorn–Heaven on Earth

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Austin, Texas: A Glamorous City