The School Bulletin of New Caney High School

Eagle Times Bulletin

• 2017-2018 School year begins Monday, August 28, 2017

Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love

One of the City of Brotherly Love’s best-known landmarks is the Love sculpture by artist Robert Indiana. The icon resides in JFK Plaza—more commonly known as Love Park—near City Hall and at the base of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Built in the 1960s, this mixed-use urban space welcomes businesspeople on their lunch breaks and visitors who want to capture a signature Philly picture.

Photo by M. Fischetti for VISIT PHILADELPHIA™

NaQuinn McCall, Writer

Accidentally founded in 1682 by William Penn, Philadelphia remains a popular city in northeastern United States. Operating as the largest city in Pennsylvania, many people visit this area for its varied attractions. Around 1704, explorers settled in this area, and the city grew with the rapid construction of businesses, homes, and churches.

Instead of slowing in growth, the city grew quite popular during the 1800s-1900s. Around this time, Philadelphia blossomed into a busy commercial center, opening news businesses all around the city. As more people settled in Philadelphia, the city expanded into a major hub serving the northeast corridor in the United States.

After The Great Depression and World War II, Philadelphia slowly rebounded after experiencing high unemployment and poor economic conditions. In modern times, Philadelphia has many financial companies that prosper and support other industries.

A typical city with its rough areas, yet most people refer to Philadelphia as “The city of brotherly love.” William Penn experienced religious persecution and wanted people living in  Philadelphia to worship freely. Afterwards, this drew even more settlers to the city, and to this day, it still holds the title as the city of brotherly love.

Extensive with city wide attractions, but one wonderful sight to visit while in Philadelphia would include “Love Park.” The park, nicknamed for the reproduction of Robert Indiana’s Love sculpture, overlooks the downtown plaza. Most tourists visit Philadelphia only to see the LOVE sculpture and to also take a picture with it.

The Love Park has a stupendous view! Behind the LOVE sculpture sits a beautiful fountain that shoots high in the air and would make a remarkable picture. Every now and then, the city will add a color to the water, and this practice makes it look even better in pictures!

The LOVE sculpture locates in the city’s center near many restaurants, and this allows tourists to taste a famous Philly’s cheese steak and many other fine cuisines.

Another venue, the well liked Philadelphia museum, fascinates and entertains many guests everyday. Before people enter the museum, they usually take boxer Sylvester Stallone statue pictures, and afterwards, climb the “Rocky Stairs.” Once visitors reach the top, they will experience a spectacular view and then enter the museum and observe all of the splendid pictures.

Visitors can spend the whole day participating in free activities and enjoy themselves or spend money and partake even more entertainment! Unlike other tedious and boring cities, Philadelphia functions as a wonderful place with breathtaking views that everyone should have a chance to see!

Philadelphia truly represents “the city of Brotherly love”!

• Philadelphia: The City of Brotherly Love

Top Stories

Hawaii: A Land of Splendor

Top Stories

Napoleon Bonaparte: Another Fallen Leader

Top Stories

Giant Redwood Sequoias: Monuments of Time

Top Stories

Florida Keys: Pristine Beauty At Its Best!

Top Stories

Houston Museum of Natural Science

Top Stories

Children’s Museum: A Wonderful Place to Visit

Top Stories

Ronald Reagan: A Truly Remarkable President

Top Stories

Cheese Making: A Fine Art

Top Stories

Morgan’s Wonderland: A Theme Park For Everyone!

Top Stories

Bermuda Triangle: Still A Mystery