Houston Museum Natural Science: A Learning Experience

Hollie Whatley, Writer

Located in Houston, the Houston Museum of Natural Science stands as a large, tourist attraction. More than two million people visit it yearly. Founded in 1909, the museum’s original purpose included enhancing an average individual’s science knowledge.

As one of the most visited museums in the United States, it owns two satellites, the Burke Baker Planetarium, Wortham Giant Screen Theater, Cockrell Butterfly Center, and around 10 more science based exhibits. They also add around 3,000 to 5,000 new artifacts each year. Over half a million school age children visit each year, furthering their scientific knowledge about the world around them.

On Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., The museum allows people to view the dinosaur and minerals exhibit and roam the Serengeti for free. On regular days, adult tickets (age 12 and up) cost $25, children’s tickets cost $15, and children age 2 and under admit for free. Admission for college students and senior citizens costs $15, while admission for military members costs $8.

Their butterfly center has multiple different sections including the Rainforest Conservatory, the Our Residents exhibit, the White Christmas exhibit, the Pollinator Gardening exhibit, and the Brown Hall Of Entomology. Each one includes a learning experience about butterflies or other insects.

Ticket prices for the butterfly exhibit only costs $9 for adults, $8 for children,  and $8 for college students and senior citizens. Some of the many butterfly species the museum collects includes the blue morpho, bull thorn acacia, the pride of Trinidad, the owl butterfly, and over 10 other species. Some insects the museum showcases include the atlas beetle, praying mantis, the eastern lubber grasshopper, and the atlas moth.

Going to the Houston Museum Of Natural Science stands as an outstanding learning experience and an all around fun place to visit!