Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

Gianna Maglaya, Writer

Psychiatrists attend medical school, which makes them physicians who primarily deal with mental health issues. They diagnose and treat a wide range of problems, including addictions and emotional disorders.

Their training in both medicine and psychology allows them to approach illness as a whole-body problem, and part of the job includes working to prevent mental illness. It takes many years to train as a psychiatrist, but the ability to help people in such a personal way and earn a good living too, make it worthwhile.

It takes a minimum of twelve years of schooling as a psychiatrist. They spend the first four years as an undergraduate and pre-medical student. Afterwards, comes four years of medical school, followed by four years of residency.

The first year of residency typically completes itself in a hospital, treating all kinds of patients for a variety of issues, and the last three years they spend training specifically in psychiatry. After residency, many new doctors board certify by passing an exam administered by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, but certification does not remain necessary to work as a psychiatrist. It stands, however, mandatory that they take a national licensing exam and remain licensed by the state they stay working in.

After completing their residency, they can choose to train for another year or two in a sub specialty. These include addiction, forensic psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, clinical neurophysiology, pain management and psychosomatic medicine.

If they want to work in child and adolescent psychiatry, they will need board-certification as a psychiatrist before conpleting their residency. This means they work with children, adolescents and adults, and that can broaden their career options.

Psychiatrists have several choices of where they work, including clinics, private hospitals and nursing homes. The next most popular options for employment include psychiatric and substance abuse hospitals, outpatient care centers, and general hospitals.

Psychiatrists examine and evaluate patients using both medical and psychological tests. They analyze test results, review medical histories and interview patients to determine a diagnosis using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Treatments vary depending on the disorder and the needs of each individual, but may include psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy, and medication that targets the chemistry of the brain. Psychotherapy and medication, many times, start off as together in a treatment plan.

Annual wages vary significantly, depending on the type of employment. A medical professional placement firm conducts an annual survey that found that psychiatrists earned an average salary of 207,700 dollars as of 2012, noting that the figure includes bonuses.

Psychiatry–an excellent profession for an inspiring student!

About the Writer
Gianna Maglaya, Writer

Hi! I am a new sophomore at New Caney High School, and so far Texas seems pretty amazing. I have moved many times in my lifetime, and now I attend my eleventh...

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Houston Museum Natural Science: A Learning Experience

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Halloween Horror Nights

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Nina Dobrev–An Actress with Class and Style!

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Mrs. McWilliams: A Superstar Counselor At New Caney High School

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Dwayne Burks: New Caney High School’s Welding Teacher

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Lauren Bibeault: Loving English and Sharing Her Passion With Students

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Mrs. Kent: Teaching Aesthetic Appreciation To Students

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

The Table Top Club: Growing With Students And Games

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Vegetarianism: A Truly Healthy Lifestyle

• Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

More News

Shatter the Silence! Stop the Violence!

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!