Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Shatter the Silence! Stop the Violence!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shatter the Silence! Stop the Violence!

Gianna Maglaya, Writer

Roughly 1.5 million high school boys and girls in the U.S. admit to someone physically assaulting them in the last year by a friend they have a romantic relationship with. Surprisingly, this does not cause alarm considering that eight states do not acknowledge dating violence as domestic abuse. Therefore, in those states, anyone below the age of twenty cannot file a legal restraining order against their abusers.

However, this behavior should stop immediately considering the negative effect it can have on a victim. After experiencing an abusive relationship, women turn to alcohol or cigarettes to cure their pain. More times than not, they will develop depression, and suicidal thoughts will occur regularly.

Men, conversely, show antisocial behavior and may even misbehave at times, showing hints of delinquency. They sometimes turn to marijuana to curb their pain, and like women, they have a tendency to develop depression and suicidal thoughts.Both men and women, however, more likely tinvolve themselves in other abusive relationships as they grow older, and because of this, everyone should have awareness about this critical issue.

All abusive relationships must stop immediately, and the couple should seek counselling help. Couples must correct this behavior so their relationship can function properly. Only when they complete therapy can they rejoin their partner for a loving relationship.

Mature couples need to identify abusive symptoms as a first step to seeking help. However, some abuse may not classify as physical. If a victim seeks help, but does not have bruises and scars, then this does not mean they do not hurt.

Many times, individuals in an abusive relationship will develop at least one of the following mental illnesses: PTSD, anxiety, or depression, coupled with suicidal thoughts and low self-esteem. Not only does It take a trained therapist to identify these issues, but also many months or years to overcome them.

Victims also tend to turn to drugs or alcohol to deal with the pain they feel. The best observer remembers victims feel hurt and cannot cope with their tragic experience. That will never make them bad people, but it makes them lost and confused.

Unlike friends in positive, nurturing relationships, people in abusive ones may show signs of trust issues. They will not know who they should talk to or who they can consider their friends.

They grew quite close to the person in their relationship before their partner showed abusive behavior, but the best point to remember, these victims cannot reject help forever. Clearly, if a friend upholds and supports them, they will build trust in someone trying to help them.

Rather than feeling positive and excited about prospects, abuse victims may also seem very unmotivated and apprehensive about their future. They can sometimes addict themselves to their partners so much, they do not know how they can function without them.

Support all efforts to end abuse. Not later, but now!

About the Writer
Gianna Maglaya, Writer

Hi! I am a new sophomore at New Caney High School, and so far Texas seems pretty amazing. I have moved many times in my lifetime, and now I attend my eleventh...

• Shatter the Silence! Stop the Violence!

More News

Houston Museum Natural Science: A Learning Experience

More News

Halloween Horror Nights

More News

Nina Dobrev–An Actress with Class and Style!

More News

Mrs. McWilliams: A Superstar Counselor At New Caney High School

More News

Dwayne Burks: New Caney High School’s Welding Teacher

More News

Lauren Bibeault: Loving English and Sharing Her Passion With Students

More News

Mrs. Kent: Teaching Aesthetic Appreciation To Students

More News

The Table Top Club: Growing With Students And Games

More News

Vegetarianism: A Truly Healthy Lifestyle

More News

Psychiatry: An Inspiring Profession!

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Shatter the Silence! Stop the Violence!