American Eagle Outfitters: A Fashion Leader

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hollie Whatley, Writer

The first American Eagle store opened in Novi, Michigan in 1977, making the retail store around 42 years old today. The company employs more than 40,000 associates and now owns more than 1000 stores worldwide. The store focuses on designing clothes for customers between age 15 and 25.

Clothing in store sizes vary depending on what article of clothing customers choose, but in their inventory for most shirts, the store holds sizes extra small to size extra-large, and sizes 0 to 16 in their in store jeans. The stores online clothing sizes for shirts ranges from extra extra small to extra extra-large, and sizes 00 to 20 in their online available jeans.

Unlike other retail chains, American Eagle Outfitters also tries to showcase models of all shapes and sizes to display their clothing, even including ones with ailments or disabilities. The brands online store also has options to choose item lengths, such as short, regular, or tall.

In 1999, American Eagle Outfitters established the American Eagle Outfitters Foundation where they try to create positive change in the cities around their stores. The Foundation donates to educational, environmental conservation, and women’s health charities around the nation.

Three charities they donate to the most comprise Teach For America, The Student Conservation association, and The Bright Pink organization. In 2014, the company and its foundation donated over two million dollars.

The American Eagle retail chain started as one of the first to market not only plus size clothing, but also mid-size clothing. Since the franchise started selling plus size clothing, it lead a revolution and drew attention of other clothing chains who later started selling the same product after they noticed how well the sizes sold in American Eagles stores.

American Eagle has lead the way for many retail stores and continues to stand as a major influence to many of today’s brands.