Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

Jake Harvey, Writer

Bryce Aron Max Harper plays Major League baseball for the Philadelphia Phillies. He played in MLB for the Washington Nationals from 2012 to 2018. He has often been called a “five-tool player”.

Harper graduated from high school early so he could attend the College of Southern Nevada, where he won the 2010 Golden Spikes Award. The Nationals selected Harper in the 2010 MLB Draft.

He made his MLB debut with the Nationals on April 28, 2012 at 19 years old. Unlike some players that would wait for years, Harper had made the 2012 All Star Game roster, ranking as the youngest position player to perform in it.

Harper won the National League (NL) Rookie of the Year award in 2012 and tied for the National League lead in home runs in 2015. He earned the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award in 2015 by unanimous decision of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. He ranks as the youngest MLB baseball player to win the award at age 23.

As a free-agent during the 2018-19 off season, he signed a 13-year, $330 million dollar contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. Harper’s deal  stands as the third richest contract in North America sports. He holds the honor as the youngest player to hit two home runs in his team’s first season game.

During a game against the San Diego Padres on April 25th, 2014, Harper suffered a left thumb injury when he slid into third base on a 3-run triple. He had thumb surgery because of a torn ulnar collateral ligament. Harper returned to the majors on June 30th, batting .273 with 13 home runs and 32 RBI’s.

On April 18th, 2015, Harper hit the longest home run of his MLB career with a 461-foot drive over the center field wall against the Philadelphia Phillies.

On April 24th, 2016, Harper hit his first career grand slam for his 100th home run against the Atlanta Braves. Three days later, he hit a home run for the fourth straight game, setting a new career streak for most consecutive games with a home run.

On May 16th, 2017, Harper hit a home run in PNC Park, which meant he had hit a home run in all 15 National League Parks.

In 2018, Harper led the league in walks and he achieved 100 RBI’s, making it his first season with triple digits.

Bryce Harper–not an ordinary baseball player, but truly a baseball star!

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Target: A Store Admired By Shoppers

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

American Eagle Outfitters: A Fashion Leader

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Drug Abuse: A Preventable Disease

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Raising Cane’s

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Honey Bees: Bringing Food and Love For Everyone

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Chick-fil-A: A Treasure to All!

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

New Caney HIgh School Drum Line

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Claude Monet–Impressionism

• Bryce Harper: Baseball Star

News

Second Amendment–Protecting Citizens

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Bryce Harper: Baseball Star