Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

Caroline Hemphill, Writer

Babe Ruth remains as a true legend in the baseball and sports community. Although known by many names, he still earned many achievements in baseball. Even nowadays, children who play baseball know him by the many legends and many accomplishments.

In 1927, he hit 60 home runs for the New York Yankees. That record stood until Roger Maris broke it in 1961 with 61 home runs.

Babe Ruth had many nicknames, such as “The Great Bambino,” “the Sultan of Swat,” and  others. Some of his records set include the 714 home runs he hit by 1935. He also earned  the MVP title in 1923 and helped the Boston Red Sox win three World Series championships.

Babe Ruth continues to stand as a popular name in baseball because of his historical significance, his records set, and his great inspiration to sports fans during the Great Depression era.  Sadly, toward the end and after his baseball days, Ruth experienced  mood swings and dementia. He had a hunger for alcohol, food, and women, and found his addiction difficult to overcome.

On October 1, 1932, game three of the World Series, Ruth showcased his greatest achievement. While in the World Series, Ruth pointed to the center filed stands where he would hit the baseball. On the next pitch that Cubs pitcher Charlie Root delivered, he hit the ball exactly to the location he pointed.

On May 25, 1935, an overweight and diminished Babe Ruth played his final game for his fans one last time when he hit three home runs in a single game at Forbes Field In Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A week later, Babe Ruth finally retired. He ranks as one of the first of five players inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936.

A few years later, he coached for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1943. Sadly, Ruth never achieved his goal of managing a major league team.

In Ruth’s last years, he devoted  most of his time to charitable events. On June 13, 1948, he made one last appearance at Yankee Stadium to celebrate the building’s 25th anniversary.

Two months later on August 16th, 1948, Ruth passed away from cancer. He left much of his estate for the Babe Ruth Foundation for underprivileged children.

Babe Ruth–still catches the attention of people who love baseball!

About the Writer
Caroline Hemphill, Writer

Hello:

I am Caroline Hemphill, and I have senior status at New Caney High School. I have attended this school all four years, and I consider New Caney...

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Drug Abuse: A Preventable Disease

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Raising Cane’s

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Honey Bees: Bringing Food and Love For Everyone

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Chick-fil-A: A Treasure to All!

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

New Caney HIgh School Drum Line

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Claude Monet–Impressionism

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Second Amendment–Protecting Citizens

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

Dolly Parton–Country Music Star

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

James Woods–Talented Actor, Intelligent Individual

• Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend

News

James Avery–An Outstanding Jewelry Store

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
Babe Ruth: A Baseball Legend