The School Bulletin of New Caney High School

Eagle Times Bulletin

• 2017-2018 School year begins Monday, August 28, 2017

Industrial Revolution: Changing The World Forever!

An Assembly Line of the Ford Motor Company. The assembly line is always a point of interest to visitors of the Rouge Plant. Here, on a moving conveyor, Ford cars are completely assembled, from the chassis to finished car, and driven off the line under their own power. In addition to the Rouge plant, there are 31 assembly lines in company branches throughout the United States. --- Image by © Rykoff Collection/CORBIS

© Rykoff Collection/CORBIS

Emily Brubaker, Writer

Transforming into industrial and urban cities in Europe and America, the Industrial Revolution took place from the 18th to the 19th century. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, manufacturing often took place in people’s homes, using hand tools or basic machinery.

Before the advent of the Industrial Revolution, most citizens resided in small, rural communities, revolving their daily existences around farming. Producing the bulk of their own needs, such as food, clothing, furniture, and tools, life remained difficult, yet satisfying for people living off the soil.

Britain’s role as the Industrial Revolution’s  birthplace occurred when they increasingly mined deposits of coal and iron ore so essential for industrialization. Leading the world in colonial power, Britain functioned as the most politically stable society, meaning its colonies could serve both as a raw materials source  and a marketplace for manufactured goods.

As the demand for British goods increased, merchants needed more cost-effective production methods, leading to the rise of mechanization and the factory system. In the 1700s, a series of innovations led to increasing productivity, requiring less human energy. In particular, transformed by industrialization, the textile industry overwhelmingly benefited from the changes taking place.

Iron industry developments also played a central role during the Industrial Revolution. Both iron and steel changed to essential materials, used to make everything from appliances, tools and machines, to ships, buildings and infrastructure. In addition, the steam engine grew integral to industrialization.

After the steam engine’s introduction, British engineer Richard Trevithick constructed the first railway steam locomotive. By 1850, Britain had laid more than 6,000 miles of railroad track. Furthermore, inventions such as the telegraph created easier and faster communication.

The Industrial Revolution brought more volume and variety of factory-produced goods, and it raised living standards for many people.

The Industrial Revolution–a big step in humanity’s march forward!

• Industrial Revolution: Changing The World Forever!

Top Stories

University of Houston: A Comprehensive Education For All Students

Top Stories

Walmart: From A Leap of Faith to America’s Superstore

Top Stories

Houston Astros: You Must Believe!

Top Stories

Plato: Still Teaching and Enlightening Readers in the 21st Century!

Top Stories

Target: Caring for Customers and the Community

Top Stories

Texas A&M University: A Premier Institution of Higher Learning

Top Stories

Dermatologist: A Wonderful Profession!

Top Stories

Rice University: An Ivy League Education in Houston

Top Stories

Solar and Wind Power

Top Stories

Hamilton Pool Preserve