The School Bulletin of New Caney High School

Eagle Times Bulletin

• 2017-2018 School year begins Monday, August 28, 2017

Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Taylor Peters, Writer

Rock and roll’s roots thrive from several different music genres, specifically African rhythm and blues, taking influence from its soul and walking bass lines, rock took this inspiration and developed a style of its own. Gaining popularity in 1953 when Bill Haley and his Comets wrote and recorded the first ever rock song to list on the pop charts. Following this, artists such as Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, and more took inspiration and began creating their own songs, adapting to this new sound.

At this point in time, teenagers took an interest in rock music, and its popularity grew immensely. However, Caucasian parents felt appalled with the style, the dances it evoked, and especially its African roots, claiming rock as repulsive or low class. Churches at the time proclaimed rock as the music of Satan, and many schools as well as radio stations banned rock music and records. However, despite this oppression, rock and roll survived and flourished.

Throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s, rock dominated the pop charts with artists, such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and many more. Love songs fell out of popularity to the new rock songs regarding social consciousness and political statements. Later, psychedelic sounds gained presence, reflecting the hippie culture of the period. Following this, outdoor festivals began, and many sub-genres of rock, such as punk, arena, and progressive begin to form.

In the 1980’s, 1990’s, and 2000’s Music Television (MTV) emerges, allowing people to view music videos 24 hours and 7 days a week. This influencing the marketing of new bands and styles made hairband rock, classic rock, and alternative prevalent. Alternative rock and its sub-genres grunge and pop punk grew in popularity.

Refusing to conform to what the record labels claim will bring them a mass marketing audience, bands such as Nirvana, Blink-182, and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers dominated music during the 1990’s. Rock n’ roll in the 2000’s has made many people aware of the hundreds of different sub-genres, but styles such as pop punk, alternative, and heavy rock remain most prevalent.

Rock music continues evolving to this day!

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Hawaii: A Land of Splendor

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Napoleon Bonaparte: Another Fallen Leader

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Giant Redwood Sequoias: Monuments of Time

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Florida Keys: Pristine Beauty At Its Best!

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Houston Museum of Natural Science

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Children’s Museum: A Wonderful Place to Visit

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Ronald Reagan: A Truly Remarkable President

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Cheese Making: A Fine Art

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Morgan’s Wonderland: A Theme Park For Everyone!

• Evolution of Rock-n-Roll

Top Stories

Bermuda Triangle: Still A Mystery

Evolution of Rock-n-Roll