Armageddon in the Near Future: A Cause For Alarm?

E. Rae "Katie" hernandez, Assistant Editor/Reporter

“The end of the world is determined; the end is now.”

This theory has been targeted, exaggerated and stretched like an abused rubber band by both popular media and private individuals. Echoed by the masses with a questionable certainty, the apocalyptic date was set for December 21, 2012, until recently. The end of humanity’s time may be sooner than was thought—11 months earlier, reports Harold Camping, host of Family Radio, a non-profit Christian radio broadcasting network that stresses 05-21-11 as the beginning of the end.

“We can know from the Bible alone that the date of the rapture of believers will take place on May 21, 2011 and that God will destroy this world on October 21, 2011,” announces the Family Radio official website, WeCanKnow.com.

The conclusion drawn here is certain; within this generation, maybe even within the next few years, the end of the world will ensue. And everyone will die.

“Six months ago, I was made aware of a situation so devastating that, at first, I refused to believe it. However, we have confirmed its validity. The world, as we know it, will soon come to an end,” disclosed fictitious President Thomas Wilson in the movie 2012.

Should everyone abandon all hope and prepare for an imminent destruction?

“I don’t really do any research over this situation, simply because I believe that whether or not the earth really will end on any upcoming date, everyone should still live their lives to the fullest everyday, instead of living in fear,” NCHS student Lisa Mathis said.

Religious groups and cults attempting a prediction of the exact date of Earth’s end are no real threat in people’s day-to-day lives, considering humans should have already met their doom, according to the perceived Armageddon of June 6, 2006, the turn of the century’s Y2K scare, and the anticipated obliteration of life on Earth from planetary alignment in 1982. Doubtful student Eric Miranda denies the hype: “I don’t believe anyone can outright guess the last days on Earth,” he shared.

Such prophetic warnings of le mort de la Terre are nothing new or particularly unique. Humanity’s fear of doomsday has given birth to a myriad of prophecies, not just recently, but as far back as medieval and ancient times.

The Norsemen of the Viking Age believed a great war would end the world: “From all the corners of the world, gods, giants, dwarves, demons and elves will ride towards the huge plain of Vigrid…where the last battle will be fought… The nine worlds will burn, and friends and foes alike will perish. The earth will sink into the sea” (Eric Wadley, Ancient Mythology in the Known World).

For student Tyler Maricle, “I think it’s all a hoax…I don’t see any [reason] why the world would just…spontaneously end.”

Even if the world were to end tomorrow, no one could prevent an earth-clashing asteroid, the takeover of too-intelligent computers, or invading aliens in time to save the entire human race. “People shouldn’t worry about what might happen in the future,” Mathis believes, “but rather focus on what they can do to improve the world we live in now.”