Eagle Times Bulletin

• Welcome Back Students for School Year 2018-2019!

East Montgomery County Fair Kicks Off!

Arianna Grupe, Writer

Last Friday night kicked off the opening of the East Montgomery County Fair. Every year New Caney, Porter, and Splendora assemble to showcase the hard work of their FFA chapters.

EMC, unlike most fairs, allows not only FFA to show, but also allows adults to test their skill at the annual BBQ cook off. Young hopeful high school juniors prepare for the chance to earn their spot as the EMC Fair King and Queen every year. All of these activities combine to create the county September staple known as the EMC Fair.

Friday night marked the start of the BBQ cook off. Close to 100 teams gathered to prepare their food, pits, and trailers for the long cooking process that would commence the next morning. Early Saturday morning the teams gathered, heated their pits, and began their cooking process, which lasted all day long. The fair grounds filled with the warming smell of cooking smoke, chicken, brisket, and many more delicious flavors as each cooker awaited the judging results.

While the cook-off teams remained hard at work, hopeful FFA members checked in their livestock and non-livestock exhibit pieces, such as flower arrangements, baked goods, art work, wood work, handicrafts, and so much more all hoping to land an interview and a slot in the auction room.

Across the fairgrounds, high school king and queen candidates practiced speeches and prepared for their anticipated interview questions. All of the candidates walked to the show barn with cowboy hats, sponsor sashes, and shining smiles as they awaited their turn to recited their speech to the awaiting community. After nervously reciting their speeches and attempting to captivate the audience, they gathered together to encourage one another and have a few laughs as they waited for their turn in the interview room.

Later that day, the EMC Fair association crowned New Caney’s own Jordan Butler the 2015 Fair King and Splendora’s own Karoline Jones the 2015 Fair Queen.

Following the king and queen contest, young boys and girls gathered for their chance to hold the title of EMC Prince and Princess.

Later that day, New Caney, Splendora, and Porter FFA showed their handmade BBQ pits for an opportunity to not only hold the first place title, but also for their chance at a senior scholarship. New Caney FFA, a team of 9, won 1st place, Splendora, a team of 2, won 3rd place, and Porter, a team of 3 won 3rd place. The New Caney FFA sold their pit in the action for over $4,000 to Guys A/C and heating.

To end the night, the Randy Brown Band, Jody Booth and New Caney High School’s Tyler Trantham sang their hearts out to the dancing and fun filled crowd.

Surely,  EMC Fair remains one of the best times of the year and holds a place in the hearts of this community. No year stamds complete without at least on trip, if not several, to Bull Sallas Park for a taste of what this fair association has to offer.

Congratulations to all cook-off teams, king and queen competitors, pit team members, non-livestock competitors, and prince and princesses. Also, good luck to all FFA members who will show their livestock and compete for their chance in the auction this weekend.

EMC Fair, a part of life, a tradition, an opportunity, a giving association, and a family that welcomes everyone into their arms.

About the Writer
Arianna Grupe, Writer

I am Arianna Grupe, currently enrolled as a junior at New Caney High School.  I am involved as an FFA Officer, Dream Team member, writer, news anchor,...

• East Montgomery County Fair Kicks Off!

Community News

Community News

Grand Texas Theme Park–Coming Soon!

• Community News

Grand Parkway Coming Soon!

Community News

First Baptist Church of Porter Candlelight Service, December 24th

Community News

Battle Line on 59 Fellowship

Community News

First Baptist Church Revival: An Event to Always Remember

Community News

Saturday, September 29th, A Family Festival!

Community News

Christian Youth Club for New Caney Teenagers

Community News

New Caney Alive!: Bringing UNITY Back Into the Community

Community News

Hibachi Buffet: A Gourmet Restaurant Pleasing Local Residents

The School Bulletin of New Caney High School
East Montgomery County Fair Kicks Off!