Mrs. O’Neill–Preparing Students for Careers in Business

Rachel Gonzales, Writer
August 31, 2012
Filed under News

Interested in a business career? New Caney High School has several programs for you!

Mrs. O’Neill, a current New Caney High School teacher, teaches six different business classes. In addition to Accounting I and II, Financial Analysis, Business Information Management I and II, and Career Preparation, she also coaches the Computer and Accounting UIL events. Since she has an active interest in commerce, she also “loves teaching business and finance courses.”

She graduated first in her class with a B.B.A. degree from Baylor University’s Hankamer School of Business. She has been teaching for 23 years, the last eight at New Caney High School.

Mrs. O’Neill strongly encourages students, who plan to pursue a career in business after graduation, to enroll in Accounting during high school. Not only does this class train students well to learn about business finances, it also prepares students for college studies in Accounting. “The failure rate for beginning college accounting courses is typically around 40% for those students who did not take at least one high school accounting course,” she said.

Mrs. O’Neill’s Business Information Management (BIM) class teaches students Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, and Publisher. BIM II allows students the opportunity to take separate online exams to earn Microsoft Office Specialist certifications in Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point, all valuable skills for obtaining employment.

Mrs. O’Neill’s Career Prep (Co-op) class provides opportunities for junior and senior students to participate in a learning experience that combines classroom instruction with paid business and industry employment experiences, and supports strong partnerships among school, business, and community stakeholders. This goal prepares students with a variety of skills for a fast-changing workplace.

Many of Mrs. O’Neill’s UIL students have advanced to the regional and state levels over the past few years. The Accounting team placed 1st at the district level and advanced to region for the past two years. Many Computer Applications students have also placed at district and advanced to region for the past 5 years, with one student advancing to compete at the state competition.

Mrs. O’Neill welcomes all students interested in a business career to her classes and to the UIL competition. She wants “students who are competitive and enjoy competing to join UIL”.

Students, prepare for the business world now by enrolling in the excellent business classes at New Caney High School!

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

*